Posting this a day earlier because as of tomorrow I will be losing myself in the musical delights of Ellie Goulding, Bastille, Blur, Pet Shop Boys, Björk and many others at the Berlin Festival.
My friend Maggie recently posted a picture on my Facebook page that read: ‘My musical taste ranges from ‘you need to listen to this’ to ‘I know, please don’t judge me. I gave up any claim to musical ‘coolness’ the day I put up my first Roxette poster some of my more vicious friends would say but truth is, my musical taste is and has always been as diverse as it comes. There are very few musical venues I would not feel at home in. That said there are some selections on my iPod that make me smile with delight in that I know I shouldn’t but so what kind of way.
I try to feel shame but I just can’t. Instead I hum or outright sing along, in some cases even do dance moves. So enjoy, judge, cringe, or all the above the below insight into my iPod.
1. I’m On Fire- 5000 Volts: Seriously I have to thank Berliner Rundfunk 91.4 (the only station that can make the natural progression from Barry Manilow to Metallica in just one song) for keeping this song well and truly alive on my iPod.
2. Save Your Kisses for Me- Brotherhood of Man: I would like to blame Berliner Rundfunk for this as well as it is a staple on their station but truthfully I love Eurovision despite taking a break from it for the last few years and it makes me smile, simple as that.
3. Boys (Summertime Love)- Sabrina: I don’t need to explain this one…
4. Dragostea Din Tei- O-Zone: I won’t apologise for this one.
5. El Pito- Joe Cuba: I challenge you not to dance a little to this.
6. Wham Bam- Candy Girls featuring Sweet Pussy Pauline: There were road trips in the 90′s that would not have been the same without this track.
7. You Think You’re A Man- Full Frontal: Cringing yet?
8. Deeper Shade of Blue- Steps: You should at least be dancing if not smiling by now.
9. I’ve Never Been to Me- Charlene: How can you not sing along loudly or at least mime to this song.
10. Your Love- The Outfield: This one I truly have no shame in. I think it is a great song and it is on the list because my friend Maggie and I love to sing it to each other so this is a shout out to her for inspiring this week’s entry.